Monday, April 5, 2010

Making dull light pop

It is no secret that I am a big proponent of using flash to augment or even over power natural light. In this case I wanted to show a side by side example of using flash vs no flash to augment a photo, in this case to add to the feel and enhance a theme I was shooting for.



ISO 100 1/250 second F/8.0 with two rim lights behind Wes (the model)

The photo on the right is of course enhanced with flash, while the photo on the left is natural light only. The day was overcast which is a nice light, but in this case not the kind of light I wanted for this type of photo (over cast = even but flat light). I needed something edgy and hard.

The ambient was underexposed by about 2/3 of a stop with the flash on the hot end of the exposure spectrum. The images are straight from camera with only a minor White Balance tweak.

Moral of the story, flash is a tool, to help you achieve the style and look you are working toward.

No comments: