Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The drastic makeover

How much digital modification is too much? I was exposed to this little video clip a while back and wanted to share it. It is amazing what can be done with digital imagery today. There is an ongoing debate among photogs about what should and shouldn't be done. There are some that believe that an image should not be edited in any shape or form. Others where any change is acceptable for the sake of "art and my expression of my inner vision".



The job of a people photographer is to make people look good. There are a whole lot of things that can be done to make someone look better or worse. The quality of the light has a huge role. For example lighting a certain way can make people look thinner, or more feminine. The way a person dresses for a portrait is hugely important as well. Portraits done with flashy clothing is a no-no...

But where does the flattery change from ethical to unethical? There isn't any real absolute answer but it is one of things I have been pondering for some time now. I guess the best I can do is use my own judgement in the matter. Of course my photoshop/makeup/posing/hair dressing skills are no where near those of the group that did this shoot. I will admit it is cool in a creepy kind of way. Makes you wonder what makes a supermodel if you can change someone as much as this photo? Seems an old jane would do...

Photography for thought...

No comments: